Veneers offer an excellent solution for many types of smile imperfections. Read on to learn how your Austin, TX, dentists, Drs. Joyce and Theresa Wung, help their patients transform their smiles with these versatile restorations!
Porcelain veneers keep flaws out of sight
Veneers are thin shells that cover the front surfaces of your teeth to mask any imperfections. These wafer-thin restorations are made of porcelain, a durable material that looks just like natural tooth enamel.
During your first veneer appointment at our Austin office, we remove a tiny amount of enamel from the surface of the teeth that will receive veneers. We'll also make an impression of your teeth, which will help the dental laboratory makes your restorations fit perfectly!
You'll then leave the office wearing temporary veneers before returning in about two weeks to receive your permanent restorations. During that visit, your dentist will temporarily apply your new veneers using glycerin or water to test the fit. After making any necessary adjustments, we will permanently attach the veneers to your teeth with dental cement.
Veneers have many aesthetic purposes, including:
- Hiding Minor Imperfections: Chips, cracks, and other flaws such as bumps or pits disappear once veneers are added to teeth.
- Closing Gaps: Veneers offer a simple way to cover slight gaps between your teeth (larger gaps may require orthodontic treatment, however)
- Lengthening Teeth: Veneers improve the length of short teeth. If your teeth have been worn down due to nighttime grinding, your dentist may recommend that you wear a nightguard in the future to avoid cracking your veneers.
- Changing Tooth Shape: Unusual looking teeth detract from the appearance of your smile. Fortunately, it's simple to completely change the shape of an oddly shaped or crooked tooth by adding a veneer.
- Concealing Discolorations: Discolored teeth are particularly noticeable every time you open your mouth. To counteract this, your dentist will select a veneer shade that matches your natural tooth color to ensure that your problem tooth blends in with your smile.
- Whitening Your Smile: Porcelain veneers can also be used to whiten teeth. Stain-resistant veneers are available in a wide range of shades, allowing you to pick the perfect shade of white.
Are you ready to improve your smile with porcelain veneers? Schedule an appointment with your Austin, TX, dentists, Drs. Joyce Wong and Theresa Wung, by calling (512) 329-9900 for the South Austin office or (512) 382-0100 for the North Austin office.